1. Always listen for instructions about the Lab from your teacher. Do not do any Unauthorized experiments.
2. No food or drinks during Lab. Never eat or drink from any Lab container.
3. Be aware of the safety equipment in the classroom (fire extinguisher, fire blanket, waste disposal, recycling, sharps container, safety shower and eye wash)
4. You must report all injuries to your teacher right away. Ask for bandaids, Neosporin, or assistance if you need it.
BRANCHES OF EARTH SCIENCE
1. Hydrology- all the water that flows ON the Earth; lakes, rivers, glaciers, seas, oceans, groundwater, wells, water pollution.
2. Meteorology- all topics related to weather and climate; Greenhouse Effect, storms, all precipitation, air pollution, or any event in the atmosphere.
3. Geology- deals with all events that occur with the soil/rocks on or below Earth’s surface; volcanoes, earthquakes, gemstones, ores, mining, caves, lithospheric plate movements, layers inside the earth
4. Astronomy- all events related to space, stars,planets and the universe; meteors, comets, eclipses, the Sun, the Moon, supernovae, black holes, neutron stars, nebulae, space exploration
THE ROCK CYCLE
There are 3 types of rocks; igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic. The Earth’s processes are constantly changing and remaking rocks. We need to be familiar with all the PROCESSES that can change one rock into another. Review words like weathering, erosion, deposition, lithification, cementation, , melting, cooling and crystallization, heat and pressure. Know the difference between the INTERNAL and EXTERNAL processes-those that occur ON Earth’s surface and those that occur BELOW Earth’s surface.
Click on the Link below to study the Review sheet for the Test.
INITIAL REVIEW Rock Cycle