- Tuesday Dec 4th- Introduction to Binary Compounds and the Criss-Cross Method for writing formulas. Packet pages 2, 5, and the top half of page 6. Homework= study for Quick Quiz on Writing and naming Binary Compounds.
Tyler DeWitt Binary Compounds Tutorial= https://youtu.be/URc75hoKGLY
- Thursday Dec 6th – Introduction to Compounds containing Transition Metals (using Roman Numerals) and Polyatomic Ions. Packet pages 3, 7, & 9. Take Quiz for Binary Compounds. Homework= study for Quick Quiz on Writing and naming Compounds containing Transition Metals.
Tyler DeWitt Transition Metals Tutorial= https://youtu.be/Rq0A-AHdB74
- Monday Dec 10th- Additional Work using Polyatomic Ions in Formula Writing. Introduction to Nonmetallic Binary Molecules. Packet pages 6 (bottom half) and 8. Take Quiz for Transition Compounds. Homework= study for Quick Quiz on Writing and naming Molecules with Two nonmetals (using Greek Prefixes). More Videos from Tyler DeWitt
Nonmetallic Binary Molecules Tutorial = https://youtu.be/DejkvR4pvRw
Polyatomic Ions in Compounds Tutorial = https://youtu.be/p9iQ5Qn42DM
- Wed Dec 12- Introduction to Formula Mass and Percentage Composition. Review MIXED types of Formula Writing. Packet pages 10 & 11 plus Quiz for Nonmetallic molecules. Homework= study for Quick Quiz on Writing and naming Compounds with Polyatomic Ions. Students may begin work on Webassign.
Mixed Types Tutorial = https://youtu.be/8KSWRy2MMyM
- Friday Dec 14- Final Work and Lab for Percent Composition using packet pages 13 & 14. Take Quick Quiz on Polyatomic Ions in Formulas. Homework= study for Quick Quiz on Writing and naming ALL TYPES of Formulas. Webassign Due by midnight!
Tutorial for Percent Composition = https://youtu.be/lywmGCfIUIA
- Tuesday Dec 18th- Test Review for Formulas, Nomenclature and % Composition. Take Quiz on Mixed Types of Formula Writing and Naming. Homework= study for TEST to be taken Thursday Dec 20th.
Essential Standards (North Carolina Objectives)
Chm.1.2.4 · Write binary compounds of two nonmetals: use Greek prefixes (di-, tri-, tetra-, …).
- Write binary compounds of metal/nonmetal*.
- Write ternary compounds (polyatomic ions)* using the polyatomic ions on the reference table.
- Write, with charges, these polyatomic ions: nitrate, sulfate, carbonate, acetate, and ammonium.
*The Stock system is the correct IUPAC convention for inorganic nomenclature.
Chm.2.2.5 · Determine percentage composition by mass of a given compound.
- Perform calculations based on percent composition.
- Determine the composition of hydrates using experimental data.